Q) Can you tell me the programs that you have available, and what topics are covered?
A) Electrical, Carpentry, Plumbing, HVAC, Welding (East only), and Industrial Maintenance

Q) How long is a class?
A) Classes are typically 3 hours/night and 144 hrs/year in length to align with DOL standards.

Q) Do I have to work in the field in which I am training for?
A) In order to be considered an apprentice, you must be working in the field in which you are training to ensure you achieve the minimum number of on the job hours to be DOL certified. You can, however, become a trainee and attend our classes to complete the certification process through our school, you just will not receive DOL certification until the minimum number of hours is complete on the job.

Q) When is the next class offered?
A) A class is also considered a level or year. Fall classes are typically from September till April. We do this 2 alternating nights a week from 4 – 7pm.

Q) What is the cost for the tuition and materials for each year?
A) Prices are subject to change. However they will be listed on the application. Tuition for Middle Tennessee is $2,900. ABC members and partnering associations receive a $800.00 discount per student employee. There is a $150.00 non-refundable late application fee. Tuition for the East Tennessee Construction Trades Academy in Knoxville is a flat rate of $2,000.

Q) What is included with tuition?
A) All books and supplies are included with tuition.

Q) Where do I get an application?
A) Applications are available during registration periods on ABC website under the Construction Trades Academy tab.

Q) When is the registration period?
A) Applications open in April for the next school year. Applications should be turned in as soon as possible once registration period opens. Tuition is due wit

Q) When is the registration due date?
A) The last day for applications is also when tuition is due, typically 1 month prior to the first day of school..

Q) When is tuition due?
A) Tuition is due by the first day of class.

Q) What if someone is not sure about whether they will be able to attend?
A) It is best to fill out an application as early as possible during registration period, otherwise there may not be a seat in the class available. Tuition is due by due date, and a refund will be given should you decide not to attend.

Q) When will I know what days my class is going to be?
A) Your schedule will be sent via email once you are enrolled.

Q) What if I can’t attend those days?
A) We will work with you, but you have to let the Director know as soon as you receive the schedule, classes fill up fast.

Q) What if I have to drop the class, how do I get a refund?
A) Cancellation prior to school will receive a 100% refund. Dropping class within the first month will result in an 75% refund. Dropping during the second month will result in a 50% refund. No refund will be given after the second month of classes.

Q) I have a new hire who is a veteran. How can he use his GI bill toward this?
A) The VA offers a different program for veterans in an apprenticeship program. They do not pay for the school, as if they were going to a traditional college. The VA determined that because vets in the program are working and receiving wages, they only give them a stipend based on the OJT hours they work. The VA determined that the amount they pay is to reimburse the vet for their service in the military. Companies that do not have a DOL registered apprenticeship program will be requested to sign an agreement with ABC. This agreement is similar to the one that the DOL would request, but more basic. Once the veteran enrolls in the apprenticeship program, they will need to see the Director to fill out the proper VA paperwork. Once approved by the VA, the vet will bring monthly pay stubs to the Director showing his OJT and will verify with the VA to process their compensation.

Q) What happens if I get laid off?
A) Once your school has been paid for you should finish the year out. See the Director for information on companies that are looking to hire students in the program. This happens from time to time, don’t be discouraged. Many times it’s based on the volume of work slowing in the winter. However there may be someone else hiring, check with the Director. If nothing is found don’t quit school. Your employer may need you back in the spring before school is out, or sooner!

Q) What Happens if it snows or the streets ice over?
A) If Metro Davidson or Knox County schools are closed DUE TO BAD WEATHER, ABC school is also closed. If Metro schools close early, ABC school will also be closed. If Metro schools open late, ABC schools will still be open. ABC school will be open for teacher in-service days.

Q) How can I get a copy of my transcripts?
A) Simply email you request to Aaron Huffman with a copy of your Driver’s License. Be sure to include contact info and directions of where to send.

Q) Can I get a replacement Journeyman card?
A) Replacement Journeyman cards can be issued for a $50.00 fee. Please call 615-399-8323 to make the request.

Q) Do you have any special incentives for Veterans?
A) Yes, we prioritize those who have served to protect our country, so you absolutely can use resources from the GI Bill. Should you be approved by the VA you will be able to receive monthly monetary benefits by becoming an apprentice.

Don't See Your Question?

CONTACT US AT 615-399-8323


Nashville Office
560 Royal Parkway
Nashville, TN 37214


Knoxville Office
105 W. Churchwell Ave. Knoxville, TN 37917
Phone: 865-433-8323